When it comes to contraception, there are various options available to both men and women. Among these, the male condom remains one of the most reliable means of protecting against sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and avoiding unwanted pregnancies. In this article, we look at the benefits of the male condom, how to use it correctly and some tips on choosing the right model.
The benefits of the male condom
The male condom is a latex or polyurethane sheath that covers the penis during intercourse. It forms a physical barrier that prevents the transmission of STIs and the passage of sperm, thus reducing the risk of pregnancy. Here are just a few of the advantages of this contraceptive method:
- Protection against STIs: Unlike other contraceptive methods, such as the pill or IUD, the male condom offers effective protection against sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including HIV. This makes them an excellent choice for people with multiple sexual partners or those wishing to protect themselves during occasional intercourse.
- Contraceptive efficacy: When used correctly and consistently, the male condom has a contraceptive efficacy rate of 98%. This makes it one of the best contraceptive methods available on the market.
- Accessibility and ease of use: Condoms are readily available in most pharmacies, supermarkets and online stores. What’s more, they don’t require a doctor’s prescription and can be used without prior preparation. Simply unroll them over the penis before sexual intercourse.
How do I use a male condom correctly?
To get the best possible protection, it’s essential to use a male condom correctly. Here are a few steps to follow for optimal use:
- Check the expiry date: Before using a condom, make sure it hasn’t expired. The expiry date can usually be found on the condom’s individual packaging. Do not use a condom whose expiry date has passed, as this may affect its integrity and reliability.
- Carefully open the package: When opening the condom package, take care not to tear the sheath with your fingernails or teeth. Instead, use your fingers to gently separate the wrapper and pull out the intact condom.
- Placing the condom on the penis: Place the condom on the tip of the erect penis. Make sure the roll is on the outside and unroll it all the way to the base of the penis. If you’re using a lubricant, apply it only to the unrolled condom to prevent it from slipping off the penis during intercourse.
- Removing and disposing of the condom after use: After ejaculation, hold the condom by its base and gently pull it off the penis, taking care not to spill any semen. Then dispose of the used condom in a garbage can – don’t flush it down the toilet, as this can cause blockages and pollute the environment.
Tips for choosing the right male condom
Now that you know how to use a condom correctly, here are a few tips to help you choose the model that’s right for you:
- Size: Condoms come in different sizes to suit different penis diameters. It’s important to choose the right size, as a condom that’s too tight can be uncomfortable and increase the risk of breakage, while one that’s too wide can slip off during intercourse. Don’t hesitate to try out several sizes to find the one that suits you best.
- Material: Most condoms are made of latex, which offers excellent protection against STIs and pregnancy. However, some people may be allergic to latex. In this case, polyurethane or polyisoprene condoms are equally effective and hypoallergenic.
- Lubrication: Some condoms are pre-lubricated for ease of use and greater comfort during intercourse. If you prefer to use your own lubricant, make sure it’s compatible with the condom material. Never use oil-based lubricants (such as Vaseline) with latex condoms, as this can weaken them and make them less reliable.
- Texture: Textured condoms, such as those with ribs or beads, are designed to increase pleasure for both partners during intercourse. Feel free to try out different textures to find the one you like best.
The final word
In summary, the male condom is a safe and reliable means of contraception when used correctly. It offers protection not only against unwanted pregnancy, but also against sexually transmitted infections. By choosing the right model and following good usage practices, you can enjoy all the benefits of this risk-free contraceptive. So don’t hesitate any longer, and make the male condom your ally for protected, fulfilling sex!
I’m a young man studying in the field of health and sexuality. Passionate and committed, I am known for my dedication to my studies and my desire to make a significant contribution to society.
I am particularly interested in issues of consent and prevention in the field of sexual health, a subject that I feel is crucially important and often neglected. Those who know me well describe me as an empathetic person with an incredible ability to understand and support people in need.
I strive to demystify preconceived ideas about sexuality and improve attitudes and perceptions around sexual health. I’m a passionate advocate of the importance of sex education and consent education in universities, recognising the major transition students are going through in terms of their love and sex lives during their studies.
With a keen eye on society, I am particularly concerned about the problems of forced or unwanted sexuality among students, which I find unacceptable. I plan to devote my career to changing these disturbing statistics, by creating training and intervention programmes to improve knowledge, attitudes and behaviour relating to sexuality among young people.
My ultimate goal is to create an environment where every individual has the power to make informed choices about their sexual health, and where respect and consent are the norm. Overall, I am a character who represents commitment, compassion and the desire to make a difference in the world.